ADULTS AT FIRST PRES
A Place to Learn, Worship, and Thrive
We invite you to take advantage of the rich array of choices in adult education at First Pres. Throughout the year, First Pres offers a variety of Sunday education opportunities that will help you grow closer to God.
Bible Studies At First Pres
Join a group to study the Word of God in order to learn who God is, to know Him better, and to recognize His voice. Paul the Apostle says in 2 Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
First Pres is host to WBS each Thursday from September through May. WBS is a Bible-based study open to women of all faiths and ages. No experience necessary. Do you have young children or grandchildren with you during the day? There is a program for them, too!
Come on Thursday and check it out; no commitment required! Find out how it fits before you register. Visit their website to learn what WBS is studying this year.
See the WBS website for more information and to register.
Men’s Community Bible Study
Mondays, September through May
First Pres is host to a Men’s Bible Study Monday evening from September through May. Open to men of all faiths and ages. No experience necessary.
Email the Men’s Community Bible Study to learn what they are studying this year!
Men of IMPACT
6:00 am or 8:00 pm
The Progressive Dinner is a traveling dinner party for First Pres adult members and attendees. The evening begins all together with cocktails and appetizers, where attendees learn with whom they will be sharing dinner. Guests then travel to their host’s home for dinner, and everyone gathers at the church for coffee and dessert.
This is one of the most popular events of our year!
This time away from the everyday! The retreat starts Friday evening, and continues through Sunday noon at Camp Timber-lee in East Troy, WI. This is a great opportunity for relaxing with family and friends, both new and old. We welcome all ages and stages of life and especially encourage newer First Pres folks to attend as it is a wonderful environment to build new relationships.
First Pres is happy to be called home base for MOPS OPRF. MOPS is a Christ-centered international program that has been instrumental in leading mothers and their children to Jesus through friendships, creativity, hospitality, and leadership training.
The local chapter of MOPS meets twice monthly here at First Pres and provides ministry to mothers and their young children ages 0-6 years. Each meeting always involves small group discussions and a speaker or a craft, all in a welcoming and friendly setting. It provides essential mom-time to learn something new and to have valuable adult social time – a rare thing during the young-children season! At the same time, children attend a specially designed educational program.
Service-Volunteer Opportunity: The local chapter is run by the moms who attend. There are volunteer opportunities on the steering committee and for events. Do you have a talent or desire to help? Email MOPS and let them know!
ONLINE RESOURCES FOR ADULTS
While we are apart, we are not alone!
RESOURCES, ACTIVITIES, AND MORE!
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- The Mighty
- Moody Theological Seminary Counseling Center
- Health Connection Hub services for individuals and families, including: senior and youth services, developmental disabilities, medical health care, behavioral/mental health services, and other social supports.
- Thrive Counseling Center has just launched a free phone support line. If you need to talk, Thrive’s professional therapists are can provide support for any emotional issues you may be experiencing. Please call the Thrive Check-In line at 708-383-7500, ext. 888, Monday – Friday between 9 AM – 2 PM
- Sarah’s Inn for Domestic Violence – 24/7 Crisis Line: 708-386-4225 | 24/7 Text Line: 708-792-3120
- Support4U for youth – an anonymous, confidential texting service available 24/7 to middle and high school students. Support4U connects students with a licensed clinician, where they can text about issues like depression, anxiety, substance use, etc. Text 844-670-5838. OPRF students: text CARE and Roosevelt students text SAFE. District 97 students text HOPE